Non Diegetic Scores

As I was getting on with editing the product, Chloe was set the task of finding some music to have playing in the background. We used the same site as we did last year to find the music, as we thought that this would be most practical. This was the site audionetwork.lgfl.org because it has lots of categories in order to find the music that suits what you want best. There are two forms of the website, however, we had to use this one specifically because the original is not exclusive to students and has to be paid for in order to download the music.

Chloe found four pieces of music, each of which varied slightly, carrying different tones. This was useful as it allowed us to compare each piece with the short film itself, and see which suited it most. However, after a while of inserting each score and trying to fit it, they were all too up beat or just couldn’t complement the footage.

After this, I myself looked through the sight and decided that we were not going to be able to use one piece of music individually, but that we were going to have to have two. This was because the mood of the film changed in the middle of the clip. With this, I chose two scores which I thought fit together and lined them up with the correct scene. I had to frequently cut the scores chosen so that the image suited the sound.

The next step to fitting the sound was ensuring that the diegetic sound was not muted by the music. This included increasing the volume of the camera sound, but also trimming the score so that that certain area could be turned down and faded in and out rather than turning down all of the music.

Advertisements

The Editing Process

We started off the editing process by simply creating the footage sequence, this was relatively easy as we were able to record all of the clips in the order that they were going to appear in the film. The next step was the trimming process, and we had to cut down all of the clips into the right sizes.

It was in one of the very early scenes that didn’t quite fit as we wanted to. This was because we had filmed her saying a sentence of dialogue, which we decided later that the full length was irrelevant. In order to solve this problem, I had to edit two separate clips together, but use the sound from a different clip. The cut isn’t evident in the full video, however, it is noticeable when watched closely. Below you can see the two frames placed next to each other in still, and it is clearly noticeable that Maddy’s thumb is in a different position. Below that is a screen grab of the diegetic sound taken from one of the other clips and inserted into the used clips.

Our second problem was the very fake look of the latex because of the pigment. This was insolvable, however, there is a programme called ‘Davinci Resolve’ in which you can edit the certain sections of the clips. The teacher had tried out the software and the best that we could get was changing the colour and the saturation of the clip in certain sections but we had to do it with lots of frames and it was too time consuming. We then had to leave it and just accept that it looked unrealistic. We did also make the shots quicker and more frequent to decrease the noticeability of the latex edge.

As it came to finalising the product, the last few things that we had to do was the title and the varying transitions. We tried to keep fade transitions to a minimum, because we wanted a rapid sequence rather than one that resemble times passing often. The only fade we planned to use was one that showed a passing of time when she is laying in the bath. However, this was not necessary because the shot we had filmed appears to pass behind her head, and therefore the transition was a straight cut anyway.

Inserted below is a screen grab of the finished process:

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 09.35.20