Whilst filming, we forgot to take pictures for the film poster, as we couldn’t use stills from the film. As a result of this, to start the process, we set up a basic format of the poster, with the title, the star names, and the credit block at the bottom. We had to install a certain font named “Steel Tongs” in order to create the credit block, as none of the links to the templates online worked. We finished up the credit block , by using names that we knew, as well as accurate ones. The software that we are using has already been pre-installed onto the Macs that we use at school, called Pixelmator.
Once we had gone away and taken a picture of the two main characters holding hands, were were then able to make the next step with the poster production. We had decided that we wanted to have a layer with the drawing of the two girls holding hands overlapping that of the photograph of them holding hands. We were uncertain as to of how we were going to do it, so we started exploring the software used to see what was possible. After gaining some help from the teachers, we were reassured that we would be able to do the effects that we had so desired. We started this process by using specific tools to show the layers, and turn certain layers into clipping masks. We changed the opacity of the images, to make sure that when they overlapped both of the could be seen. We used tools such as the blemish tool shown of a plaster on the software, to remove some of the writing from the image that we didn’t want. Because the original picture of the drawing was a very deep red, with black pen, we decided that they were the wrong tones to portray the atmosphere of the film through the poster. And so, we changed the colour of the drawing to a pinky purple using colour sliders and other editing tools as it made the image look much softer and was more relevant.
Due to the way we changed the colour of the top image of the drawing, the background of it went from bright red, to an egg shell colour. We decided that we didn’t like this, and so we wanted to change it to make it look as though there was a light shining out from behind the love heart, with soft, pink and red tones to lighten it up a bit.
After having tweaked with smaller things such as the font and the positioning of the title, we became content with it as it is. The picture above is the final product.
During the entire process of making the review, we had a copy of an Empire magazine out in front of us, so that we had a template to set out ours by. This was incredibly helpful because it allowed us to make the review as accurate as we possibly could. This included looking at the much finer details such as the page numbers, the dates and extra boxes and articles on the sides. Making the review was a fairly simple process, that required little innovative or creative changes. We had to read articles and reviews out of the Empire magazine, to see the styles of writing, and we concluded that it was a very informal review, most of the time. The reviews consisted of witty lines that often linked to events within the film, and remarks about aspects such as the actors, the director, or the tone of the film. Following this basic structural outline, we scripted a short review for our film, with the main focus around the young actresses and the tone of the film.
Once we had the basic layout of the picture in the top right hand corner, with the Empire logo just above, and the review written surrounding the image, we had to move onto the extras around the edges. These included boxes containing facts about the film, references to other film and a summary box. The first image was our review before getting it checked by the teacher. Here were the criticisms we received:
- The box in the top right hand corner did not look like it was out of a review magazine
- We had to enlarge the tag line underneath the words ‘THANK YOU’ because it didn’t fill up the space
- We also had to change around some of the writing within the article because it didn’t sound the way it should have done.
We were quick to fix and improve all of these errors, and after doing so we had finished, and sent it in as the final product.